Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The last post I made brought me to day 3 of my stay in Carmel. After the previous gloomy gray days, I was hoping so much for some sun, and sure enough it dawned bright and clear. I had visited Point Lobos early on my scouting day when it was sunny and decided to return there to Whalers Cove. After a trip to the Carmel Valley Coffee Roaster, I was off to Point Lobos and was first in line at the gate, which opens at 8:00am.
Whalers Cove is the first right off the main road entrance. It's a narrow road that leads down to a small parking lot where you have a perfect view of the whole cove. There are lots of seals basking on the bit of sand beneath the rocks at the southeast end of the cove, and that's the view I chose to paint. I couldn't include the seals, because they just look like a lot of big slugs, and on a small canvas, it's just too hard to paint big slugs so they look like anything.
Here is the morning view I painted:













and here is the painting I did, tho the colors are a bit off compared to the actual painting:














After doing this morning painting, I ate the lunch I brought, and then turned 45 degrees to the west and painted this scene:













and here is the painting I did:

As soon as I finished, I had to race home,
frame my two best paintings, and get them down to the park in the center of town where the bidding would start at 6 pm.
So, again, no pressure. Haha.



No comments:

Post a Comment