Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Newport Back Bay 2012

Last post, I left off with Los Gatos at the end of June, which brings the calendar up to July and the show that just closed, our biennial art exhibit to benefit the Newport Back Bay. This is a beautiful estuary, one of the very few left in California, where many many species of birds live year round or for a few months as a stop over on their yearly migration. I've participated in this show since 2004 and it's one of the high points of the year. I love painting out there. The silence is so present to me that it blocks out the noise of the airplanes taking off every 5 minutes, if that makes any sense. Or, to say it in another way, it is so serene there that I don't notice any other noise. I painted several new paintings for this show almost all in the 3 weeks after I got home from Los Gatos. Although  two of them I did between painting in Carmel and heading back up to Los Gatos.

Here are the two I painted in early June and which I entered into the juried component of our show.

Looking for Breakfast
11 x 14 inches
SOLD
Awarded 2nd Place

















Last Flight
11 x 14


This year, I found myself attracted to how the light at the beginning and the end of the day affects the colors of the cliffs. In the next post I'll post some more paintings.

No comments:

Post a Comment