Tuesday, June 24, 2014

San Clemente Plein Air Competition - Day 2


On Monday the 16th I headed down to the Ole Hanson Beach Club very near the train station in San Clemente. Here is a brief description of it from the city's website:

The Ole Hanson Beach Club is an historic two-story public facility and adjoining public pool originally constructed in 1928. The building and pool are in need of structural rehabilitation and repair. The City is planning to repair and rehabilitate the building and pool and optimize the floor plan to allow the addition of an elevator while maintaining and restoring historic architecture.

I found so much to paint there. I started painting at 8am and didn't leave until 4pm.
Here is the first one I did. 
Ellies Table, a little restaurant across the street from the Bath-house
9 x 12 inches, Oil on Linen Board
.


My second effort was of this beautiful tree. I'm not sure what kind it is...maybe some kind of fig...It had a wonderful presence overlooking the sea, casting it's welcoming shadows.
"Playing in the Shadows"
9 x 12 inches, Oil on Linen Board
My late afternoon painting was of this beautiful tiled stairway.
The composition was inspired by one of my favorite artists: John Singer Sargent who did a similar painting of a stairway on the Isle of Capri.

"Ode to J.S. Sargent"
16 x 8 inches, Oil on Linen Board"

No comments:

Post a Comment